[vtkusers] VTK java wrapper and Swing

Jonathan Ruiz Peinado jonathan.ruiz3 at gmail.com
Mon May 7 09:28:01 EDT 2012

Hi, I'm sure this is an easy question but I'm a bit Stuck on it.

When I use the example class SimpleVTK in other class I get an ugly FATAL
error, I think that i's something about Swing and  vtkPanel...

Any ideas? ,  thanks in advance
public class OtherClass  {

    public static void main(String s[]) {
               JFrame frame = new JFrame("SimpleVTK");
                frame.getContentPane().setLayout(new BorderLayout());
                frame.getContentPane().add(new SimpleVTK(),
BorderLayout.CENTER);
                frame.setSize(400, 400);
                frame.setLocationRelativeTo(null);
                frame.setVisible(true);
    }
}

#
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007faa139d2516, pid=12761, tid=140367185549056
#
# JRE version: 6.0_26-b03
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (20.1-b02 mixed mode
linux-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [libjava.so+0x17516]  JNU_GetEnv+0x6
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /home/jruiz/NetBeansProjects/Dicom Studio/hs_err_pid12761.log
#
#   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
#

/**
 * An application that displays a 3D cone. A button allows you to close the
 * application.
 */
public class SimpleVTK extends JPanel implements ActionListener {
    private vtkPanel renWin;
    private JButton exitButton;

    // -----------------------------------------------------------------
    // Load VTK library and print which library was not properly loaded
    static {
        if (!vtkNativeLibrary.LoadAllNativeLibraries()) {
            for (vtkNativeLibrary lib : vtkNativeLibrary.values()) {
                if (!lib.IsLoaded()) {
                    System.out.println(lib.GetLibraryName() + " not
loaded");
                }
            }
        }
        vtkNativeLibrary.DisableOutputWindow(null);
    }

    // -----------------------------------------------------------------
    public SimpleVTK() {
        super(new BorderLayout());

        // build VTK Pipeline
        vtkConeSource cone = new vtkConeSource();
        cone.SetResolution(8);

        vtkPolyDataMapper coneMapper = new vtkPolyDataMapper();
        coneMapper.SetInputConnection(cone.GetOutputPort());

        vtkActor coneActor = new vtkActor();
        coneActor.SetMapper(coneMapper);

        renWin = new vtkPanel();
        renWin.GetRenderer().AddActor(coneActor);

        // Add Java UI components
        exitButton = new JButton("Exit");
        exitButton.addActionListener(this);

        add(renWin, BorderLayout.CENTER);
        add(exitButton, BorderLayout.SOUTH);
    }

    /** An ActionListener that listens to the button. */
        if (e.getSource().equals(exitButton)) {
            System.exit(0);
        }
    }

    public static void main(String s[]) {
            @Override
            public void run() {
                JFrame frame = new JFrame("SimpleVTK");
                frame.getContentPane().setLayout(new BorderLayout());
                frame.getContentPane().add(new SimpleVTK(),
BorderLayout.CENTER);
                frame.setSize(400, 400);
                frame.setLocationRelativeTo(null);
                frame.setVisible(true);