[vtkusers] CMake fails VTK not Found

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Wed May 2 21:44:29 EDT 2012

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 9:14 PM, Bob Palank <bob at stlcc.org> wrote:
> As suggested, I  set VTK_DIR to D:\MyProjects\VTKCVSBin
> ------------------------------------
> Using CMake 2.8.4 GUI
> Source is in E:/Cone02  it is named Cone02.cpp
> Build the binaries E:/Cone02
>
> I click Configure  and  see VTK_DIR in Red
> Then I reset the value to D:\MyProjects\VTKCVSBin
>
> I click Configure  and  see Configuring done.
>
> I click Generate and see Generating done
>  but I think this happens way too fast.
> I look in E:/Cone02/Bin and see one new folder (CMakeFiles) and nine files.
> I do not see an exe file.
>
> What do I do next?
> Bob

You will not see an exe file - VTK is a c++ library, not a program. As
such, you have to then open the project (whichever kind you generated,
perhaps Visual Studio 2010) with the program you selected and then
build VTK. This is the part that will take 10s of minutes. You will
then have a "build directory" that will contain the libraries you can
link your program against.

David