[vtkusers] vtkClipClosedSurface problem

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 22:36:08 EDT 2012

Hi Randy,

I tried it with vtkSphereSource and it worked perfectly.  Evidently
vtkSuperquadricSource does not generate a closed surface.  You can
test whether a surface is closed by using the vtkFeatureEdges filter
to display free edges, i.e. edges that belong to only one polygon.
In a closed surface, each edge belongs to exactly two polygons.

feature = vtk.vtkFeatureEdges()
feature.SetInputConnection(glyphs.GetOutputPort())
feature.FeatureEdgesOff()
feature.BoundaryEdgesOn()
feature.NonManifoldEdgesOn()

Try vtkCleanPolyData to clean the output of vtkSuperquadricSource.
It isn't guaranteed to work, but it's worth a shot.

 - David