[vtkusers] vtkThinPlateSpline optimisation

Chenes Christophe (HES) christophe.chenes at hesge.ch
Thu Mar 29 05:18:13 EDT 2012

Hi,

I'm working on a text projector which is able to project an arbitrary text on a surface mesh (polydata).
To do so, I create two sets of points one on the original text landmarks and one on the surface corresponding landmarks.
I then transform the text with vtkThinPlateTransform using these two datasets.
It works very well but it's not as optimal as it could be.

One word of seven letters, for example, is composed of about 760  3D points.
When I apply the transformation on it, it takes about 35 seconds to complete the computation.

I googled about an optimized TPS for vtk and didn't find any relevant response, despite the mail from the list inquiring about the same topic but dating back to 2004 and which didn't receive any relevant answer...

Therefore, does anyone use a faster, functional TPS version I could try in order to reduce this computation time ?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,