[vtkusers] [vtk-developers] GPU volume rendering on ATI Radeon in VTK 5.8

Simon ESNEAULT simon.esneault at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 05:16:58 EDT 2012

Hi all,

Our experience with GPU and mac graphic card is the following :

- Macbook pro 2011, with ATI HD6750M running OSX Lion -> working fine, with
the option ShadeOn on the volume property
- iMac with ATI HD5740, running OSX Snow Leopard -> not working at all,
experimenting the same crash as Karthik
- Macbook pro 2010, with an NVIDIA GT330M running OSX Lion -> working
strangely, sometimes half of the volume is rendered correctly, and the
other part is like a plain cube. But this might be related to the card
memory's capacities as it can hold only 256 Mo.

We had to build vtk 5.8 with a patch similar to the one that Julien
provided, and to backport the commit that fixed the shader in order to
test/use that.

So what we are doing internally is :
If the system is OSX Lion, and the card name is ATI, use the
vtkGPUVolumeRayCastMapper mapper, otherwise (on OSX only), fall back to the
vtkFixedPointVolumeRayCastMapper ... Not ideal, and not the same
interaction experience for all users, but at least some mac users can make
use of the power of their graphic card.

Hope this can help.
-Simon

Simon Esneault - Therenva