[vtkusers] How to cut a hole in polydata?!

Fabian fabian-richter at gmx.de
Wed Mar 21 07:44:10 EDT 2012

Hello,

first of all: THANKS ALOT for Your help.

Especially the vtkClipPolyData idea looks very good.

I 've been trying for some time now using examples and tutorials; but slowly
I am going nuts!

I tried vtkCutter and vtkClipPolyData but in both cases I cannot set my
sample sphere as implicit function.

In purpose of testing I created a polygon and tried to cut a reound hole in
it using a sphere.
My code is:

  vtkSmartPointer<vtkSphereSource>  Sphere    =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkSphereSource>::New();
               Sphere ->SetRadius(0.2);
               Sphere ->SetCenter(0.5,0.5,0);

   vtkSmartPointer<vtkClipPolyData>   Clipper     =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkClipPolyData>::New();
               Clipper ->SetInput(polygonPolyData);      //my created
polygon
               Clipper ->SetClipFunction(Sphere);  <- *This creates me an
error saying: unable to convert 'vtk SphereSource *' to
'vtkImplicitFunction'.*

All fitting examples I read work like that. I am going crazy!

The same happens using the vtkCutter.

What am I doing wrong?

Greetings
Fabian