[vtkusers] Create a vtkDelaunay3D from vtkCleanPolyData object

Erik Henneberg henneberg at inmach.de
Fri Mar 16 10:18:51 EDT 2012

Hello,

I have problems using the vtkCleanPolyData as Input for the vtkDelaunay3D.
If i try to run my program i get an error message ("floating point
exception") and the program stops.

My proceeding is:

     Create and fill vtkPoints (with points i get from a laser scanner)

     pointsPolyData->SetPoints(points)

     cleanPolyData->SetInput(pointsPolyData)
     cleanPolyData->SetTolerance(0.005)
     cleanPolyData->Update()

     delaunay->SetInputConnection(cleanPolyData->GetOutputPort())
     delaunay->BoundingTriangulationOn()
     delaunay->SetTolerance(0.001)
     delaunay->SetAlpha(5)
     delaunay->BoundingTriangulationOff()

     geometryFilter->SetInput(delaunay->GetOutput())
     geometryFilter->Update()

     mapper->SetInputConnection(geometryFilter->GetOutputPort())

     actor->SetMapper(mapper);
     actor->GetProperty()->SetPointSize(2.5);

If i don't use cleanPolyData and set the pointsPolyData directly to the
input of delaunay everything works fine! But it takes very long for
computing because i have a big dataset of points.
I have to filter most of the points which lie very closely together and
i think cleanPolyData is exactly what i need...

Is there another vtk-class that is able to merge points that lie closely
together or am i doing sth. wrong?
Please help, i tried to solve this problem for hours and nothing worked...

Thanks in advance!

Erik