[vtkusers] Select from Multiple GPUs

ianl ilindsay at insigniamedical.co.uk
Thu Mar 1 04:22:33 EST 2012

Hello all,

When using VTK on a machine with multiple graphics cards, VTK (or OpenGL)
seems to use the first one presented to it by the operating system rather
than the most capable one, resulting in poorer performance than expected. Is
there an OS or OpenGL graphics driver setting or a way to configure this
within VTK? I have looked in the obvious places such as vtkRenderWindow,
vtkGPUInfoList/vtkGPUInfo etc, but these seem to be more to do with querying
information rather than setting GPU affinity.

I am aware that there is a fairly low level NVidia specific OpenGL extension
(WGL_NV_gpu_affinity) that lets the programmer decide which to use, but we
tend to run on AMD cards as these have better support for the medical
imaging monitors we use.

I am running on Windows 7, 64 bit using VTK from master.

Thanks,
Ian Lindsay