[vtkusers] CSharp/Activiz + own vtk classes

ROUET, Jean Michel jean-michel.rouet at philips.com
Wed Jun 27 12:07:46 EDT 2012

Dear vtkUsers,

I've read Jochen Kling's posts on this list as well as his pages on the Wiki (http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/CSharp). First let me thank him for his contribution.

I've been using vtk for quite a long time now, primarily in pure C++, then embedding it into a CSharp/.NET application (using my own hand-coded wrapper in managed C++/CLI). It's quite a nightmare to use and I would say and I'm very happy to discover the open source version of Activiz.NET.

Now comes my question: is there a simple way two wrap unofficial vtk sub classes and access it from C# ?
For example:
I derived a vtkImagePlaneWidget into a, say, vtkOrientedImagePlaneWidget. The derived classes overrides some protected methods that are obiously not wrapped in activiz.net, and the code is in pure C++.
How can I access this new widget from CSharp/ActiViz ?

Will there be a tutorial explaning how to manually wrap (using gccxml/mummy/cable_swig or what have you) user coded vtk subclasses.

I already tried to use gccxml/mummy and generate cswig wrappers for my classes, but when it comes to using it from csharp, I don't get the expected results. I'm not quite sure, but it seems I now have a conflict between vtk symbols located in the Kitware.VTK.Unmanaged.dll and the one I linked in my own Local.VTK.Unmanaged.dll. Any advice is welcome...

Best regards,
--
Jean-Michel.