[vtkusers] rendering multiple volumes

Dou Mingxiao mingxiao.dou at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 00:41:43 EDT 2012

Hi there

I am trying to figure out a way to render more than one volumnes using
ray casting, and found a very interesting article published on VTK
Journal about implementation of a ray cast mapper that renders two
volumes:

http://hdl.handle.net/10380/3350

Just wondering if this, or even better, rendering arbitrary number of
overlapped volumes,  is going to be part of the coming VTK 6.0 ? I
guess this is a much needed feature for 3d image fusion, or
visualizing segmented image together with the original one, or
something similar....

However, the hesitation is this, to patch a specific version of VTK
runs the risk that the patch has to be modified in a way that is hard
to predict every time a new version of VTK is released.

I am a newcomer in vtk, could anyone please give me a perspective on
how VTK will possibly go in this regard ?

Cheers,

Mingxiao Dou