[vtkusers] Problems with vtkPolyData and GlobalIds

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Thu Jun 21 08:09:04 EDT 2012

I think you mean point indexes. The globalids array is just a set of
labels for individual elements. It won't matter if global ids values
aren't contiguous or start at zero any more than if and array holding
temperatures for instance is similarly scattered.

Cells use point indices (offsets into the points array) to say which
points they consist of. If the indices do not fall within the range of
that array, you will have the type of problems you are describing. It
won't matter if they don't start at zero or have gaps as long as they
are inside the range of 0..(num_points-1).

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive