[vtkusers] Native Metis-like Support in VTK

Andy Bauer andy.bauer at kitware.com
Mon Jun 18 13:30:29 EDT 2012

Hi,

Please keep the conversation on the mailing list so that other people can
participate.

I think the vtkDistributedDataFilter partitioning algorithm would
correspond to a recursive coordinate bisection algorithm. I think it tries
to balance the number of cells per partition. It doesn't have the concept
of a partition weight for the objects/cells and since it is coordinate
based and not graph based it doesn't have the concept of graph edge
weights. I don't think anything exists in VTK which already fits your need
but with some effort it should be doable. I think the best option would be
to just use Zoltan or Metis to do the partitioning. If you need VTK data
structures you could create a filter that calls either of these
partitioning libraries.

Andy