[vtkusers] Closing VTK window before application exits

sameermg sameer.gaikwad11 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 08:55:21 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I am learning VTK. I would like to know if there is a way to close the VTK
window before an application exits. I've tried Delete, Finalize,
TerminateApp and SetRenderWindow(NULL), but none of these functions seem to
work until I the application exists. Am I missing something here? I am
posting sample code below:

int main(int, char *[])
{

  vtkSmartPointer<vtkRenderer> renderer =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkRenderer>::New();
  vtkSmartPointer<vtkRenderWindow> renderWindow =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkRenderWindow>::New();
  renderWindow->AddRenderer(renderer);
  vtkSmartPointer<vtkRenderWindowInteractor> renderWindowInteractor =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkRenderWindowInteractor>::New();
  renderWindowInteractor->SetRenderWindow(renderWindow);
   renderWindow->Render();
  renderWindow->SetWindowName("First Window");
  renderWindowInteractor->Start();

  // Close the window
  renderWindowInteractor->GetRenderWindow()->Delete();

  // Stop the interactor
  renderWindowInteractor->TerminateApp();

  while(1); //Window does not close because of this while(1). It just
freezes
               //If I remove while(1), application exits and window gets
closed automatically.
              //I've tried using Delete,Finalize,TerminateApp &
SetRenderWindow(NULL) before while(1), but no call closes the  window

  return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks for your time.