[vtkusers] Render orthoslices and polydata mesh at the same time

Miguel Sotaquira msotaquira at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 02:54:31 EDT 2012

Hello everyone!

I have a 3D grayscale volume and a polydata mesh representation of some of
its inner structures. What I want to do is to implement a VTK pipeline to
visualize:

1. Sagittal, coronal and axial slices from the 3D grayscale volume.
2. To superimpose, in the same render window, the corresponding polydata
mesh representation of the structures.

In the end what I want to do is similar to what can already be achieved in
3D-slicer (see this figure as an example: http://tinypic.com/r/amv6sh/6)

For know the first approach (slices from 3D grayscale volume) is clear, I'm
thinking of using vtkImagePlaneWidget. However I don't know how to
superimpose the mesh to this set of slices.

Is it possible to use some class member function such as "AddActor" to the
renderer that contains the orthoslices? Is there a different approach?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Miguel