[vtkusers] DICOM images

David Clunie dclunie at dclunie.com
Wed Jun 13 13:19:46 EDT 2012

The files are parseable, but the problem is that UIDs need to be
unique (globally).

Otherwise there is a risk that when they are imported into a
database of DICOM images (like a PACS), there is a risk that
they will collide with UIDs of different entities.

Creating a DICOM images is sort of like entering into a contract
with other producers and consumers of DICOM images, that you
will not create objects that screw up other people by using
invalid UIDs.

Many researchers assume that they can ignore these requirements,
because they expect that their creations will never escape into
the wild, but as these bad sample images show, that is not the
case.

David