[vtkusers] vtkDecimatePro and vtkDecimate behaviour?

Alle Meije Wink a.m.wink at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 04:52:37 EDT 2012

Hi -

Trying to use an old VTK script in TCL that contains the lines

vtkSmoothPolyDataFilter smooth
   smooth SetInput [isosurface GetOutput]
   smooth SetNumberOfIterations 5

vtkTriangleFilter triangulate
    triangulate SetInput [smooth GetOutput]

vtkDecimate reduce
    reduce SetInput [triangulate GetOutput]
    reduce SetTargetReduction 400
    reduce SetMaximumNumberOfSquawks 400

vtkPolyDataMapper IsoMapper
    BrainIsoMapper SetInput [reduce GetOutput]

When I run the script it says

$ vtk SurfaceTrans.tcl
Error in startup script: invalid command name "vtkDecimate"
    while executing
"vtkDecimate reduce"
    (file "SurfaceTrans.tcl" line 42)

Not sure why vtkDecimate does not work? Anyway I found that replacing
vtkDecimate by vtkDecimatePro does run (need to comment out the
SetMaximumNumberOfSquawks line), but now there is no isosurface on my
screen any more (all blank)!

Am I making a simple beginners' mistake here? Are more options needed for
vtkDecimatePro? And should vtkDecimate not work in (the Ubuntu version of)
VTK v5.8.0-5?

Thanks for your help,
Alle Meije Wink