[vtkusers] Automatically configure scalar range for mappers

Jana Sefcikova neollie at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 08:17:03 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I would like know whether there is some way, how to configure mapper to use
active /mapped_class::SetActiveScalars/ or actual array /set by
vtkMapper::SetInputArrayToProcess/ input's scalar range automatically.

I know  vtkMapper::SetScalarRange  function but for great part of mapping I
think that scalar range could be obtained automatically from mapped
active/actual array scalar range.
Currently I see only one case when scalar range could be preset via this
function and this is , when user really want to manually change the range.
(Perhaps there are other cases?)

In great part of examples on wiki, I saw that user had manually update
pipeline  to get the scalar range in order to preset it into mapper,
furthemore he need it to make all the time when pipeline changes.
For example when reader's input is updated.
For example if I create simple pipeline : read object -> compute curvature
-> map curvature into HSV via mapper  and run it via script /tcl, python /
, if I will change input object, I would need again set mapper scalar range
to min and max curvature value manually using interpreter.

I would like ask, whether there is some way how to configure automatically
scalar ranges  or I need wrap all such code into own algorithm ( where I
will ensure manually update inside RequestData) ?

Thanks

Jana