[vtkusers] suggested vtk and paraview courses

Lubos Brieda lbrieda at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 7 15:13:43 EDT 2012

David,

From my end I would like to learn more about how the entire visualization pipeline gets updated. I develop lightweight VTK GUI's for integration with solvers, etc.. The typical usage involves generating various slices, isosurface, etc... These are tied to the active scalar on the underlying data set. The user can change the variable via GUI with the idea that all actors regenerate (i.e. active scalar changes from potential to density and the contour slices change correspondingly to show the density contours). The problem is this doesn't always work. It seems to depend on what filters are in the pipeline, as if sometimes the filter made it's own copy of the data. In which case the only way I found that works is by recreating the entire pipeline. This doesn't seem all the efficient, I would much rather be able to just modify the source data and force all filters to update themselves. However sometimes this works so hence my confusion.

Thanks.

________________________________
 From: David E DeMarle <dave.demarle at kitware.com>
To: vtkusers at vtk.org; "paraview at paraview.org" <ParaView at paraview.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 7, 2012 7:08 AM
Subject: [vtkusers] suggested vtk and paraview courses

Hi folks,

I am planning to create new material (ebook articles, webinars/videos,
on-site courses) covering VTK and ParaView topics this summer. Some of
this will be free, some will be available for purchase only. In
general I am thinking of advanced and domain specific content.

What topics would you find particularly interesting and useful?

Thank you for your suggestions,

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer