[vtkusers] Help! Writing a filter to get vtkImageData from vtkUnstructuredGrid...

Cory Quammen cquammen at cs.unc.edu
Thu Jul 26 13:26:00 EDT 2012

I have a filter similar to what you are try to do in terms of input
and output. You can take a look at my implementations of
FillInputPortInformation and RequestInformation. Please note that this
is based on VTK 5.10.0 and may not work with the most recent VTK in
git.

One thing that I am immediately suspicious of is whether you have the
proper method signature for overriding the methods correctly. Without
seeing the code, I can't tell :-) You could compile in debug mode and
set a break point  within your methods using your favorite debugger to
make sure they are being called.

Cory

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 1:18 PM, Ricardo Villegas <ricvilleg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm writing a filter to obtain a 3D vtkImageData from a volume represented
> as a vtkUnstructuredGrid.
> The image data is being obtained by sampling the unstructured grid with
> certain criteria and the help of a 3D widget.
>
> I chose vtkImageAlgorithm as the base class for my filter, overriding the
> FillInputPortInformation for setting the proper input data.
> The application crashes when I connect the output of this filter to a mapper
> or any other component for its visualization.
> It seems something is wrong in the RequestInformation method because it
> expects vtkImageData as an input. I overrode it; nothing changed.
> Curiously, if I attach a vtkImageChangeInformation filter that acts an
> intermediary between my filter and the next componente in the pipeline, it
> works fine. However, I want my filter can work standalone without using a
> vtkImageChangeInformation after it.
>
> Could somebody give me a hint about what could wrong here? Which other
> methods from vtkImageAlgorith should I change so that my filter works? Is
> there a solution?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Ricardo Villegas

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ