[vtkusers] Extracting component of vector field and exporting subset of arrays

peterm madapeti at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 05:13:02 EDT 2012

Dear Forum members,

I have a structured grid dataset with multiple point data arrays, a set of
scalar fields and a vector field.
I would like to achieve two goals:
  1.) create a scalar field data array as a component of the vector field
  2.) save the dataset into a file however only exporting a subset of the
available arrays

To be more specific I have data in this format from a CFD solver, and I need
to export a scalar field and the three components of the vector field into
MHD (single component) files.

I would appreciate any help regarding the question.

I am not very familiar with VTK, however I believe using vtkArrayCalculator
may be a solution to 1.). I have tried to create the vector field component
field using it, however it does not work. I used the following function
"U.ihat" (dot product of vector field with the coordinate vector), however
running the filter yields " An error occured when parsing the calculator's
function. See previous errors."

Thanks a lot,
Peter