[vtkusers] DICOM orientation and visualization

Federico Milano fmilano at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 16:03:04 EDT 2012

Hi. I know this is a much discussed issue (from my web searches), but I
still don't know what's the most convenient way to deal with different
DICOM orientations. I'm trying to visualize different DICOMs that come with
different orientation cosines. I would like to know if there's some example
to deal with the camera transformations needed for a correct visualization
of these DICOMs. At the time, I'm using the Insight Applications
vtkKWImageIO classes to load the DICOMs and I'm deriving a new viewer from
vtkImageViewer2 to deal with these camera transforms (I'm aiming at
reproducing a four pane viewer), but I believe there may be more elegant
ways to do this that I'm not thinking of.

I've tried to dive a little bit in the ITK-SNAP source code, to see how
they are dealing with it, but although the code is really neat, studying it
to find what I'm looking for will take me much more time than what I (and
my supervisor) are willing to spend on it.

I would really appreciate any hint.

Thanks in advance,

Federico