[vtkusers] Graphs in VTK

Jeff Baumes jeff.baumes at kitware.com
Mon Jul 16 13:15:25 EDT 2012

Scott,

Let me hopefully clarify some of this to you and others on the list. I have
been working on VTK/Titan/Infovis/OverView/OpenView for a while and names
and projects have morphed over time.

As you know, *infovis in VTK* exists in VTK/Infovis, VTK/Views/Infovis, and
scattered other places throughout VTK. It enables things like
graph/tree/table processing, statistics, charts, node-link diagrams, graph
layout, etc.

*Titan* is now a separate repository (see titan.sandia.gov) which focuses
on scalable analysis algorithms like text processing, clustering, etc. It
exposes most of this as components that can be used in a VTK pipeline, but
contains no additional visualization capabilities.

*OverView* was a project a few years back to explore integrating infovis in
VTK into the ParaView framework. It has since been deprecated.

*OpenView* is a new open source project (not-yet-released) that approaches
OverView's goals in a slightly different way. The name changed mostly
because another unrelated OverView infovis toolkit has since been released
by AP. OpenView uses ParaView as a framework, but is not as tied to
ParaView as OverView was. The processing algorithms exposed as plugins in
OpenView are usable in ParaView but the views will need a bit more work to
be usable by both applications.

I hope that helps clarify things. To mix things up even further, there is a
new (as in a few days ago) vtkGraphItem in VTK that is made to be simpler
and more efficient than vtkGraphLayoutView. Feel free to take a look at it
and provide feedback, there will be more features coming there soon.

And yes there is a basic Tulip reader in VTK but no graphviz reader.

Jeff