[vtkusers] vtkContourFilter problem

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 10:16:10 EDT 2012

MaximumDistance specifies how far away from the original polygons to
compute the distance. This is for efficiency. The units are in fraction of
bounding box. SampleDimension is the dimension of the resulting implicit
volume. Increase the dimension to produce a denser implicit volume.

For further details, look at the source code.

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 3:20 AM, santosh Gaikwad <santosh6983 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
> Yes, I am using Implicit Modeller. I am using MaximumDistance as 0.1.
> I would like to understand the relation between the MaximumDistance and
> SampleDimension, and also the Contour filter's SetValue.
>
> Thanks,
> Santosh G.
>

> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Are you using vtkImplicitModeller? If so, what parameters are you
>> setting? In particular what value are you using for Maximum Distance
>> // Another important ivar is MaximumDistance. This controls how far into
>> the
>> // volume the distance function is computed from the input geometry.
>>  Small
>> // values give significant increases in performance. However, there can
>> // strange sampling effects at the extreme range of the MaximumDistance.
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 4:05 AM, santosh Gaikwad <santosh6983 at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I am using vtkContourFilter for the purpose of offset surface. I want to
>>> offset a surface by 0.03mm so I am setting this value using function
>>> vtkContourFilter::SetValue.
>>> In the result I am getting a discontinue surface. Kind of some holes in
>>> the surface. Code looks like as follows
>>>
>>> vtkSmartPointer<vtkContourFilter> contourFilter =
>>> vtkSmartPointer<vtkContourFilter>::New();
>>> contourFilter->SetInputConnection(implicitModeller->GetOutputPort());
>>> contourFilter->SetValue(0,0.03);