[vtkusers] extract angles from polygon data

Luke Hetrick lhetrick at nnu.edu
Mon Jul 2 11:23:33 EDT 2012

Hello,

   I am creating iso-surfaces with the vtkContourFilter. I can view several
nice surfaces but I want to compare and contrast two different data sets
not only visually but statistically as well. One of the ways I was hoping
to compare/contrast the data sets was by looking at how the polygons joined
the points together and examine the angles created by connecting the points
into triangle polygons (I am running the polygons through the
vtkTriangleFilter). The idea is that the angle would tell me something
about the data set that just looking at the data would not tell me. Is
there any way to access that kind of information somewhere in the pipeline
of using the contour filter to rendering the image? Or if you are familiar
with a method that would compare and contrast two data sets please feel
free to share. My experience with VTK is limited and thus my creativity is
pretty small at the moment because I just do not know what VTK is capable
of.

Thank you for your time and thoughts,
Luke H