[vtkusers] Build VTK for Windows XP 32bit on Window 7 64bit machine

Bryn Lloyd lloyd at itis.ethz.ch
Mon Jan 30 12:49:42 EST 2012

Hi

I am having a difficult problem to solve, it seems related to VTK.

I compiled VTK on my Windows 7 64bit machine with Visual Studio for both
64 and 32bit windows.
Now I have used these versions in our (complex) application on different
systems. The application uses VTK in Python and in C++.

On Windows XP 32bit the application fails to start because of some issue
during loading of the VTK dlls. Using Process Monitor I have found there
might be an issue with the manifest. Process Monitor mentions it cannot
find the manifest file of the different VTK dlls. I have no idea what is
going wrong. As I understand it, VTK embeds the manifest, so it is
strange that they are even searched/cannot be found.

Another strange thing is that the application is working fine on one XP
32bit machine, but is failing on another. They both have the C++
run-time libraries installed. The system which works, has Visual Studio
installed, the other does not. No missing dll errors, just silent crash.

If you have any ideas, I would love to hear them!

Following batch file describes how I configured VTK for 32bit (on my
64bit machine). Is there anything wrong with this? The application uses
the dlls/headers from the install directory.

call "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
10.0\VC\bin\vcvars32.bat"

cd %WORKING_DIR%\Win32\Debug
cmake -G "Visual Studio 10"
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=%INSTALL_PREFIX_DIR%/Win32/Debug ^
     -DBUILD_TESTING=OFF -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS=ON -DVTK_USE_TK=OFF ^
     -DVTK_USE_INFOVIS=OFF -DVTK_USE_GEOVIS=OFF ^
     -DVTK_WRAP_PYTHON=ON -DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE=%PYTHON_DIR_32%/python.exe
-DPYTHON_INCLUDE_DIR=%PYTHON_DIR_32%/include
-DPYTHON_LIBRARY=%PYTHON_DIR_32%/libs/python27.lib ^
     %VTK_SRC_DIR% > "CMakeConfigureVTK.log"
devenv "%WORKING_DIR%\Win32\Debug\VTK.sln" /build "Debug|Win32" /project
ALL_BUILD > "VTKDebug.log"
devenv "%WORKING_DIR%\Win32\Debug\VTK.sln" /build "Debug|Win32" /project
INSTALL > "VTKInstall.log"

Thanks for any hints!
Cheers
Bryn