[vtkusers] Build from GIT Master Linker errors

ianl ilindsay at insigniamedical.co.uk
Wed Jan 25 06:24:21 EST 2012

Hopefully this is an easy one. I am attempting to build the latest version of
VTK from the master head in git. I get several instances of the following
linker warnings and errors when building the Debug mode Win32 build in
Visual Studio 2010 SP1 on Windows 7 64 bit.

75>vtkRendering.lib(vtkOpenGLFreeTypeTextMapper.obj) : warning LNK4217:
locally defined symbol ?Advance at FTFont@ftgl@@QAEMPBD at Z (public: float
__thiscall ftgl::FTFont::Advance(char const *)) imported in function
"public: virtual void __thiscall vtkOpenGLFreeTypeTextMapper::GetSize(class
vtkViewport *,int * const)"
(?GetSize at vtkOpenGLFreeTypeTextMapper@@UAEXPAVvtkViewport@@QAH at Z)
75>vtkRendering.lib(vtkFreeTypeUtilities.obj) : warning LNK4217: locally
defined symbol ?Advance at FTFont@ftgl@@QAEMPBD at Z (public: float __thiscall
ftgl::FTFont::Advance(char const *)) imported in function
_vtkFreeTypeUtilitiesFaceRequester
75>vtkRendering.lib(vtkOpenGLFreeTypeTextMapper.obj) : warning LNK4217:
locally defined symbol ?BBox at FTFont@ftgl@@QAEXPBDAAM11111 at Z (public: void
__thiscall ftgl::FTFont::BBox(char const *,float &,float &,float &,float
&,float &,float &)) imported in function "public: virtual void __thiscall
vtkOpenGLFreeTypeTextMapper::GetSize(class vtkViewport *,int * const)"
(?GetSize at vtkOpenGLFreeTypeTextMapper@@UAEXPAVvtkViewport@@QAH at Z)
75>vtkRendering.lib(vtkFreeTypeUtilities.obj) : warning LNK4049: locally
defined symbol ?BBox at FTFont@ftgl@@QAEXPBDAAM11111 at Z (public: void __thiscall
ftgl::FTFont::BBox(char const *,float &,float &,float &,float &,float
&,float &)) imported
75>vtkRendering.lib(vtkFreeTypeUtilities.obj) : warning LNK4217: locally
defined symbol ?AddDependency at FTLibraryCleanup@ftgl@@SAXP6AXXZ at Z (public:
static void __cdecl ftgl::FTLibraryCleanup::AddDependency(void
(__cdecl*)(void))) imported in function "public: __thiscall
vtkFreeTypeUtilitiesCleanup::vtkFreeTypeUtilitiesCleanup(void)"
(??0vtkFreeTypeUtilitiesCleanup@@QAE at XZ)
75>vtkRendering.lib(vtkFreeTypeUtilities.obj) : warning LNK4217: locally
defined symbol ?GetLibrary at FTLibrary@ftgl@@QBEPAPAUFT_LibraryRec_@@XZ
(public: struct FT_LibraryRec_ * * __thiscall
ftgl::FTLibrary::GetLibrary(void)const ) imported in function "public:
struct FT_LibraryRec_ * * __thiscall vtkFreeTypeUtilities::GetLibrary(void)"
(?GetLibrary at vtkFreeTypeUtilities@@QAEPAPAUFT_LibraryRec_@@XZ)
75>vtkRendering.lib(vtkFreeTypeUtilities.obj) : warning LNK4217: locally
defined symbol ?GetInstance at FTLibrary@ftgl@@SAPAV12 at XZ (public: static class
ftgl::FTLibrary * __cdecl ftgl::FTLibrary::GetInstance(void)) imported in
function "public: struct FT_LibraryRec_ * * __thiscall
vtkFreeTypeUtilities::GetLibrary(void)"
(?GetLibrary at vtkFreeTypeUtilities@@QAEPAPAUFT_LibraryRec_@@XZ)
75>vtkRendering.lib(vtkFreeTypeUtilities.obj) : warning LNK4217: locally
defined symbol ?Face at FTFace@ftgl@@QAEPAPAUFT_FaceRec_@@XZ (public: struct
FT_FaceRec_ * * __thiscall ftgl::FTFace::Face(void)) imported in function
"private: void __thiscall vtkFreeTypeUtilities::PrintEntry(int,char *)"
(?PrintEntry at vtkFreeTypeUtilities@@AAEXHPAD at Z)
75>vtkRendering.lib(vtkFreeTypeUtilities.obj) : warning LNK4217: locally
defined symbol ?FaceSize at FTFont@ftgl@@QAE_NII at Z (public: bool __thiscall
ftgl::FTFont::FaceSize(unsigned int,unsigned int)) imported in function
"public: struct vtkFreeTypeUtilities::Entry * __thiscall
vtkFreeTypeUtilities::GetFont(class vtkTextProperty *,double * const)"
(?GetFont at vtkFreeTypeUtilities@@QAEPAUEntry at 1@PAVvtkTextProperty@@QAN at Z)
75>vtkRendering.lib(vtkFreeTypeUtilities.obj) : warning LNK4217: locally
defined symbol ??0FTGLPixmapFont at ftgl@@QAE at XZ (public: __thiscall
ftgl::FTGLPixmapFont::FTGLPixmapFont(void)) imported in function "public:
struct vtkFreeTypeUtilities::Entry * __thiscall
vtkFreeTypeUtilities::GetFont(class vtkTextProperty *,double * const)"
(?GetFont at vtkFreeTypeUtilities@@QAEPAUEntry at 1@PAVvtkTextProperty@@QAN at Z)
75>vtkRendering.lib(vtkFreeTypeUtilities.obj) : warning LNK4217: locally
defined symbol ??1FTGLPixmapFont at ftgl@@UAE at XZ (public: virtual __thiscall
ftgl::FTGLPixmapFont::~FTGLPixmapFont(void)) imported in function "public:
virtual void * __thiscall ftgl::FTGLPixmapFont::`scalar deleting
destructor'(unsigned int)" (??_GFTGLPixmapFont at ftgl@@UAEPAXI at Z)
75>vtkRendering.lib(vtkFreeTypeUtilities.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved
external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: class ftgl::FTFace *
__thiscall ftgl::FTFont::Face(void)"
(__imp_?Face at FTFont@ftgl@@QAEPAVFTFace at 2@XZ) referenced in function
"private: void __thiscall vtkFreeTypeUtilities::PrintEntry(int,char *)"
(?PrintEntry at vtkFreeTypeUtilities@@AAEXHPAD at Z)
75>C:\Development\VTK\VTK Mainline Get\VTKBuild\bin\Debug\LabeledMesh.exe :
fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals

I am building VTK according to the instructions in the FAQ and I have had no
problems in the past. I can successfully build the 5.8 branch and I have an
older master snapshot dating back to October that also builds ok. As far as
I can see on the dashboard, the nightly build completes without errors, so I
must be missing something. I currently need to do a master build as I need
the fix for GPU support for ATI/AMD cards which as far as I am aware has not
made it out of master yet. I have tried a selection of older versions back
to 21st November when there was another GPU renderer fix which I would like
and I encounter the same problems.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks,
Ian Lindsay