[vtkusers] OpenJDK 7 Mac OS X and VTK

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Fri Jan 20 17:20:30 EST 2012

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 16:48:34 +0100, Marco Sambin said:

>Non-Features
>These features will not be ported to OpenJDK from the Apple Java SE 6 port:
>
>[...]
>*  NSView-based JAWT embedding
>   - CALayer embedding instead
>[...]
>
>Will this affect VTK Java rendering on Mac OS X in the future? Is VTK
>currently using NSView-based JAWT embedding for rendering from Java
>apps on Mac OS X? Are there plans in this regard?

Probably; I think so; not that I know of.

I don't do any Java, but I seem to remember that VTK deliberately uses NSView instead of NSOpenGLView (an NSView subclass) for compatibility with Java.

VTK could be retrofitted to use CALayer for drawing, but CALayer only does drawing, it does not handle mouse or key events, as NSView does.  Not sure then how mouse/key events would get routed.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com