[vtkusers] vtkXMLPDataWriter cuts off more than the file extension

Mikael Öhman micketeer at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 18:52:13 EST 2012

Hi.
I'm having some issues using vtkXMLPUnstructuredGridWriter.
I have the following code;

  vtkSmartPointer<vtkXMLPUnstructuredGridWriter> writer =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkXMLPUnstructuredGridWriter>::New();
  writer->SetNumberOfPieces( emodel->giveNumberOfProcesses() );
  writer->SetStartPiece( emodel->giveRank() );
  writer->SetEndPiece( emodel->giveRank() );

which seems to work fine. Each process outputs only its own *.vtu
file, and a single *.pvtu is exported.

The problem is that

vtkXMLPDataWriter::SplitFileName()

is to greedy when cutting off the file name extension, taking the
first dot instead of the last.
This leaves me without time-step-number among other things, so the
files will be overwritten the next time step.

I think a minor change in vtkXMLPDataWriter.cxx:238 to
  for(s=end; s != begin; --s) { if(*s == '.') { break; } }
would solve the problem.