[vtkusers] Update ChartXY Data and re-render in real-time

ajp andrew.parker2 at baesystems.com
Thu Jan 12 06:02:10 EST 2012

Hi,

I'm teaching myself to use vtk plotting within a small c++ code by using:

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Plotting/LinePlot

Everything works fine.  However, I would like to have control returned to
the main code after start() is called, rather than not returning until I
kill the window, and then after start() add some code to modify, say, the
cosine curve and see it automatically update the chart (after calling
something appropriate in the vtk api).

I understand I need to get to grips with event loops, probably need to use
multi-threading etc, that's all fine, just need a few pointers to get
started....

As a concrete example could somebody post some code that modifies the above
example and add some suitable code after start() so that the cosine for
example moves and I see it updated in the chart?  I still would not want the
program to not exit until I close the render window.

That would be really helpful,

Many thanks,
Andy