[vtkusers] fail to link libvtkFiltering: recompile with -fPIC

jean mensa jmensa at rsmas.miami.edu
Wed Jan 11 00:35:15 EST 2012

Hello,
I am trying to compile vtk 5.6.1 but I a get compilation error when linking
the shared library libvtkFiltering,

Linking CXX shared library ../bin/libvtkFiltering.so
/usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/vtkFiltering.dir/vtkImageProgressIterator.cxx.o:
relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against `vtkImageIterator<signed char>::IsAtEnd()'
can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

now, I am compiling on a 64b linux machine with $CFLAGS="-fPIC" and
$FFGLAS="-fPIC". What else should I flag with -fPIC??
Thank you for helping,
Jean