[vtkusers] WebGL 3D Viewer Demo

Sebastien Jourdain sebastien.jourdain at kitware.com
Tue Jan 10 08:25:03 EST 2012

Hi Sathish,

ParaViewWeb has been designed for remote rendering in order to achieve
interactive framerate on the client with collaborative session. In
that way, we extended it to support geometry delivery as well using
webgl technology. But because, it was in a dynamic context (dynamic
filter/dynamic output) we could not rely on a files and we had to make
sure that the client/server communication should stay at low as
possible.
Therefore, we defined a binary format that could be used 'as-is'
inside webgl. But as js/webgl has some limitation in array size, the
whole scene get split based on that maximum array size regarding which
array are needed to render it. Therefore, for large scene we end up
with a set of pieces that get loaded one after the other which allow
the user to see the scene to grow under their eyes.

But as you can see this rely on a dynamic mechanism which update the
client as soon as the data has changed on the server side. In case of
static data observation, the system is kind of overkill. So what we
did was to add an extra feature that allow the ParaViewWeb user to
export its scene as a single html file that embed the geometry pieces
and the webgl code that will render it inside the browser. Basically
you end up with a single HTML file that represent a 3D scene that
don't need any plugin to render and see it. And that's the links that
I've previously send. Those links are simple export of interactive
session done through ParaViewWeb.

And finally except for those static files, ParaViewWeb always deals
with runtime 3D data.
Regarding, the data size, they are pretty small as I remember, it's
basically the sample file given inside ParaView or VTK data. But
ParaViewWeb has been designed to handle much larger case as it could
rely on cluster to do the 3D processing if needed. Although, if you
are using the WebGL renderer, you will be limited by your web browser.

Seb