[vtkusers] going from binary images to 2D contours

Mark Roden mmroden at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 18:43:09 EST 2012

Hi all,

After a length conversation over on the developer list, I've now got a
very fast way to convert 2D contours from DICOM rtstructs into binary
data.  Now I need to do the reverse.  I already have a method, but
this approach is failing for large images-- and by 'failing', I mean
producing contours that do not look like the binary data.

I need contours in the xy, xz, and yz planes.  It's also possible to
have multiple contours in any given plane.

Right now, I'm using vtkMarchingSquares, but as I said, this is not
working for larger contours, and produces spurious results.

I note that there's also vtkContourFilter, vtkMarchingContourFilter,
vtkSliceCubes, vtkImageMarchingCubes, etc.  Is there any reason to
choose one of these over the other?  What would I need for my
particular case?

Thanks,
Mark