[vtkusers] Unstructured Grid .vtk format

Yogesh Kumar yogeshkumar114 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 14:55:01 EST 2012

Hello guys,

My name is Yogesh. I am doing my master thesis at FAU Erlangen. I have a
question about unstructured grid. We have a solver and I want to make
the ouput in the .vtk format in order to visualized the result in paraview.

The input of the solver is GiD based mesh file and output is the stress
value at Gauss points and position of deformed and undeformed
coordinates. The input files are 2D structure such as square plate or
beam. In the preprocessor I am defining the number of elements and the
mesh type is the quad element with nine nodes.

So in the example of square plate let say I have four elements and each
element have nine nodes and nine Gauss points. Node points are at the
boundary of the element and Gauss points are inside of each  element. So
in this example I have total 25 node points and 36 Gauss points (9*4).
The stress values are define on Gauss points and deformed and undeformed
values are define at node points.

So I want to write the node point value and stress point value in vtk
format. But the problem is that I have 25 nodes values and 36 stress
value. Because the point data is 25 and I am not able to store all the
36 points stress values.

Is there is any way that I can write the 25 point_data for nodes and 36
point_data for Gauss points?

or is there is any other way to store the values in order to see the
result file in paraview?

An example file will be very helpful.

thanks in advance ..

-Yogesh