[vtkusers] Building vtk 5.8.0 with python support on wndows with mingw

Marcelo Mendes Pereira mpmarcelomp at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 13:15:19 EST 2012

Hi

I am trying to create an .exe file with py2exe from some python scripts
that are using vtk so i need to build vtk with python support  to embed in
my .exe so i am trying to build vtk 5.8.0 with python wrappers on windows
xp with mingw 20111118 i tried two different approaches that are as follows,

   - First i tried generating from mingw shell the cmake project but it
   warned me about sh.exe being in the system path, so i generated the project
   outside on windows shell invoking cmake, after that i entered in mingw
   shell(because msys/bin/make was not in my path, as i supposed from ther
   first message that was the right thing... right?) and invoked make from
   there but mingw shell(sh.exe) died an i return to windows shell that do not
   exit unless i close the console window in a forced manner, so i cant even
   try to compile.

   - Second as the first approach failed i tried generating an MSYS
   Makefiles project from the mingw shell and everything went well at the
   beginning and after the project was configured i invoked make, the
   compilation started fine but at 98% the build fails with 2 errors, and i
   got stuck again.
   - gcc: error: release\: No such file or directory
   - gcc: error: 28_02-2012/vtk/vtkbuild: No such file or directory
   - ...
   - c:\MinGW\bin\windres.exe: preprocessing failed.
   - make: *** [all] Error 2

You guys have any idea of what could be the procedure to correct my problem?
Thanks, Marcelo M.Pereira.