[vtkusers] ANN: DeVIDE (VTK and ITK-based Python environment) 12.2.7 released

Charl Botha c.p.botha at tudelft.nl
Fri Feb 17 10:52:30 EST 2012

Dear VTK and ITK users,

After 2.5 years, there's a new stable release of DeVIDE available. I
mention this here, because DeVIDE is still one of the easiest ways to
start working with VTK (5.8.0) or ITK (3.20) in Python. Download,
unpack / install the Windows or Linux binaries and you're ready to go.

Release notes: http://code.google.com/p/devide/wiki/ReleaseNotes12_2
Website: http://graphics.tudelft.nl/Projects/DeVIDE
Downloads: http://code.google.com/p/devide/wiki/Downloads?tm=2

Features:
 * Self-contained (portable)
Python-wxPython-VTK-ITK-numpy-matplotlib-GDCM visualization and image
processing laboratory.
 * Develop your own code (Python or C++) or use the graphical
programming frontend.
 * User-friendly DICOM browser.
 * DICOM read/write support.
 * Permissive BSD licence. (yes, you can integrate my code into your
commercial products, as long as you mention me.)
 * pip is now bundled, so you can install missing Python functionality
by doing "dre shell" and then "pip install package_name"
 * Important parts of your DeVIDE installation are also mercurial
repositories, so you can do in-place updates and also track your own
work on the core code if you're into that kind of thing.
 * johannes the builder: A system for automatically downloading,
configuring, compiling and linking hard stuff, such as VTK, ITK and
WrapITK. We designed this to build the whole DeVIDE software stack
from scratch.
 * Included software versions:
   * Python 2.7.2
   * CMake 2.8.7
   * Swig 2.0.1
   * wxPython 2.8.11.0
   * VTK 5.8 with Python exception and multi-threading patches.
   * ITK 3.20 with WrapITK
   * numpy 1.6.1
   * matplotlib 1.1