[vtkusers] raycasting scalar field - does size matter?

peterm madapeti at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 10:45:27 EST 2012

Dear Forum members,

I have encountered a problem related to rendering 3D scalar fields using one
of the built in volume rendering methods
(vtkOpenGLProjectedTetrahedraMapper). I load a vtk file exported by a CFD
program (unstructured grid) and when I try to render it the result is a
blank image.

The scale of the mesh is what I believe is causing the problem, the vertex
coordinates are given in meters for an object that has dimensions of a few
centimeters along each axis. For this reason the coordinates are always less
than 1. When rendering a similar setup with a much larger scale (1000x along
each dimension), the rendering works fine.

I believe the source of the problem is that due to the small size of the
imaged cells their contribution to their final composite image is very
small, thus the object seems invisible.

My question is if you could give some suggestions about how to overcome this
problem.

Thanks a lot,
Peter