[vtkusers] Crash in Windows for vtkOutputError window using Java wrappers

Ilan ilan.tal at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 08:48:34 EST 2012

I would like to say that I really appreciate the help which this group
provides. I had a reply from lars.matthaeus which came through private mail.
It was very helpful and might be useful to others, so I will copy it here:

Hi Ilan,

That's what I do on program start to redirect the output of the error
window to a file:

       final vtkFileOutputWindow outWin = new vtkFileOutputWindow();
       outWin.SetInstance(outWin);
       outWin.AppendOn();
       outWin.FlushOn();
       outWin.GlobalWarningDisplayOff();
       outWin.SetFileName("vtkError.log");

HTH, Lars

ps: I've got VTK + Java running under Winows for several years now. I
don't see crashes any more. So your crash is definitely something that
should be investigated.

With redirecting to a file I am finally able to see in Windows what I see in
Linux. In Linux the terminal is now quiet and in Windows it no longer
crashes my application. The only small question I have is that I don't see
the file vtkError.log. I'm not sure where it should be located and I didn't
see it in the obvious places. In this case I know what the contents of the
file will be, but it might be helpful to look at in the future.

Again I want to say how helpful the suggestions are - to go from a situation
of a crash every time to something that works is no small step. If I could
be of any help in investigating the crash, I would be happy to do so.

Ilan