[vtkusers] Manta & Paraview

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Wed Feb 8 09:21:39 EST 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Dan Barker <dbpvusrlist at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Thanks David,
>
> I have instead downloaded paraview onto a virtual machine and got the Manta
> view working okay. I have a couple of follow up questions;
>
> (i) How can I change the lighting settings for the Manta view? .The default
> headlight is leading to some strange looking shadows.

The limited controls we have under lighting are under the view
options. I think the choice is just headlight or light kit (6 lights).
The bug I put in the bug tracker to improve that sits idle. Most
likely you can go to the python shell and access lighting manually but
I've never tried and don't know how difficult it will be to access and
move them.

> (ii) I have set a material to transparent (and reduced its opacity) but it
> doesn't appear to be refracting anything behind it, is there something else
> I need to change? (i.e. it looks like it has a refractive index of 1)

Try changing the material at the bottom of the display tab to one of
the dielectrics, then you can control the refractive index. Also, make
sure you are not color mapping some field as materials are only in
effect when coloring the whole object a particular color (the
rationale is data fidelity).

> Regards,
> Dan

David E DeMarle