[vtkusers] query regarding .vtk file

Bryn Lloyd lloyd at itis.ethz.ch
Fri Feb 3 02:29:05 EST 2012

Hi Bhawna

When you use glyphs, for every point there will be a glyph. The glyph
itself is a surface of maybe 20-30 triangles and points. So this would
explain why you see more points in the "glyph dataset" than the original.

==> 47368/1528 = 31

I think the scale mode is either scale by
  - vector component
  - vector (i.e. magnitude),
  - scalars (some other scalar valued array in the dataset)
  - off = no scaling

The glyphs that are appearing, might have a vector magnitude close to
zero (or even zero).
With 'scaling = off' I think only the direction of vector array is used.
This will give bad/wrong results for zero magnitude vectors. You can use
the threshold filter to remove these.

Maybe the documentation of the code helps also:
http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkGlyph3DMapper.html

Cheers
Bryn