[vtkusers] Blinking/Glowing an actor

srikanth bhattad srikanthviit at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 18:49:52 EST 2012

Hi, I am a newbie in VTK coding. I have VTK 5.10 installed on my PC running
windows XP.. I am trying to develop an application where I need to blink or
glow or change the color of an actor. I am trying out on one of the demo
example cone4 that came with the source code. My apologies if its a stupid
question but I was wondering if I can change the properties of actor like
color while it is rendered and running the window-interactor. Since from
what I have understood, once the interactor runs, the actor can be moved
but I cant seem to change its properties since it continues the interactor
loop. I have a snippet of the code I am running, may be it might help to
understand what I intend to do. The cone moves and changes color at every
iteration (2 second per iteration). But if I also simultaneously want to
interact which I try to do by uncommenting the highlighted text, it wont
serve the purpose. Any thoughts of how I can accomplish this blinking
actor. I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Srikanth

  for (i = 1; i < 360; i++)
    {
        if (i % 2 ==0)     // if i is even number
        {
            coneActor2->GetProperty()->SetColor(0.2, 0.63, 0.79);}// change
to color 1
        else                 // if is odd number
        {
            coneActor2->GetProperty()->SetColor(0.7, 0.2, 0.19);} // change
to color 2
      // render the image
      renWin->Render();
      //iren->Initialize();
      //iren->Start();
      // rotate the active camera by one degree
      ren1->GetActiveCamera()->Azimuth( 10 );
      Sleep(2000);
    }