[vtkusers] Make install error for VTK

Gestuality us 600gestures at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 10:14:39 EST 2012

Hi,

I am trying to install vtk and use it along with python on my ubuntu
machine. I installed VTK and i was able to configure and generate, then I
did a 'sudo make install', this is giving me the following error, I am not
sure which path has to be set and how to make python read .pth files from
that folder, I am new to both VTK and Python, so any advice would be of
great help.

Thanks,
Shripad D

make install error:

Checking .pth file support in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/
/opt/bitnami/python/bin/.python2.7.bin -E -c pass
TEST FAILED: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ does NOT support .pth
files
error: bad install directory or PYTHONPATH

You are attempting to install a package to a directory that is not
on PYTHONPATH and which Python does not read ".pth" files from.  The
installation directory you specified (via --install-dir, --prefix, or
the distutils default setting) was:

    /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/

and your PYTHONPATH environment variable currently contains:

'/opt/bitnami/apps/django/lib/python2.7/site-packages:/opt/bitnami/subversion/lib/svn-python::/opt/bitnami/apps/django/lib/python2.7/site-packages:/opt/bitnami/subversion/lib/svn-python::'

Here are some of your options for correcting the problem:

* You can choose a different installation directory, i.e., one that is
  on PYTHONPATH or supports .pth files

* You can add the installation directory to the PYTHONPATH environment
  variable.  (It must then also be on PYTHONPATH whenever you run
  Python and want to use the package(s) you are installing.)

* You can set up the installation directory to support ".pth" files by
  using one of the approaches described here:

http://packages.python.org/distribute/easy_install.html#custom-installation-locations

Please make the appropriate changes for your system and try again.