[vtkusers] How to get processing time and memory use

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 07:34:43 EST 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 4:07 AM, Rodrigo Lovera
<lobo.theslayer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm kind of new on these VTK use in C++ environment (Visual Studio), and im
> developing a 3d visualization gui using VTK + QT.
>
> In order to do some testing I'll need to measure the processing time and
> memory use but got no idea on how to do it. Maybe to get the processing time
> of each pipeline im adding into the gui.
>
> Hope you can give me any clue in order to perform these evaluation
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Rodrigo

For timing, you could look into:

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Utilities/TimerLog
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Utilities/TimeStamp

Personally, I would use:
http://programmingexamples.net/wiki/CPP/Boost/Timer

ITK has a MemoryProbe:
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1MemoryProbe.html

(There is no example of it's use, but it should be similar to the
TimeProbe: http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK/Examples/Utilities/TimeProbe).
I'm sure you don't want to include ITK in your project just for this,
but I'm not aware of a VTK equivalent.

David