[vtkusers] The vtkVectorText's Problem

Najzero adrian.gabriel at 4plus.de
Wed Dec 5 03:10:45 EST 2012

Ah, the joy of vtkVectorText...

to my knownledge there are only 4 standard font-glyphs available and only
one is "hard" coded into vtk for vtkVectorText.

It is possible for you to supply different fonts via those pre-rendered
glyphs yourself, but getting a neat "setItalic()" (or any other stuff) into
vtkVectorText is just not worth the hassle.

Have a look into
http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/vtkVectorText-beyond-ASCII-solution-td1252891.html
Michail Vidiassov was extremely helpfull to enable more than pure ASCII
fonts for me some time ago.
All links supplied by Michail are still working if you append a 2 to the
www[2 here]. ( e.g. www2.iaas.msu.ru/tmp/NewVectorText.wrl )

With his functionality you can use nearly every ttf font
(I used the ones used by linux distributions because it had the most glyphs
aka non-ascii letters)

For your problem,
you should consider a 2d-text pipeline and render it on the overlay instead
- I believe somewhere around 5.x the unicode support got into that classes
too.
Have a look here(
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Visualization/DisplayText )

Nearly every vtkVectorText usages are used as "faceToCamera" (aka
vtkFollower example), and by that pretty useless as 3d-objects in vtk
itself.

Best Regards
Adrian