[vtkusers] How to convert point data into proper datatype in vtk?

boyeggplant110 boyeggplant110 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 10:49:05 EST 2012

Hi all,

I have a problem about how to convert point data to proper data type in vtk.
I have a dataset including stock prices. So I have 3 variables: stock price,
time, and stock index. I want visualize the dataset but it doesn't work when
I want to construct a structured grid vtk file(as following). I wonder if my
method to convert the data is right.

Example :

# vtk DataFile Version 2.0

test data

ASCII

DATASET STRUCUTURED_GRID

DIMENSIONS 30 30 30

POINTS 30 float

1              1              36.32

1              2              36.61

1              3              36.48

1              4              36.64

1              5              35.78

1              6              35.94

1              7              37.04

1              8              36.97

1              9              37.65

1              10           37.63

2              1              76.78

2              2              75.58

2              3              79.05

2              4              80.28

2              5              78.64

2              6              78.95

2              7              82.58

The first column is stock index, second is time, third is price.

Thanks in advance!

JIE