[vtkusers] Brdf Implementation in Vtk

Jana Sefcikova neollie at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 15:44:05 EDT 2012

Hi Dora

On 29 August 2012 13:37, dora csillag <lolagiscard at hotmail.fr> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>

> I'm currently using VTK Visualisation Toolkit on a Microsoft VS 2010
> platform, in order to load and edit some 3D models.
>
> I'd like to create a realistic scene with lights, colors and material
> properties and I need to implement a* Ward Brdf Model *for the
> illumination.
>
> When we create actors, we can set values for some properties like
> Specularity, Specularity Power, Diffuse, Ambient, etc... so I suppose *there
> is a default implemented BRDF like Phong's *one in VTK ??
>
> Where can I find this illumination funciton ?

I had same question last month and did not get response. According to my
test, it is not pure Phong.
https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#sent/138d2fb4a6ece87d

> How can I change this model to use mine ?

I would say only via shaders to have full and (simple) control, if no one
clarify where illumination function is implemented in vtk.

> Do I need to write and attach a Shader, or can I do it in the CPU ?

If yes, it can be done via actor's material property
https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#sent/138d2fb4a6ece87d
There are also some shaders that could be
inspirative: vtkLightingHelper_s.glsl, vtkLighting_s.glsl ... (search for
*glsl inside VTK )
Another way - see vtkLightingPass .

J.