[vtkusers] Help for 3D surface extraction

Rong Xu xurong1981 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 08:35:20 EDT 2012

Hi, everybody:

In my project, I want to extract a 3D frontal fetal facial surface (3D mesh
or 3D point cloud) from a 3D US volume in DICOM format, as shown in
"3DPointCloud.jpg", which now is extracted from each slice along Z axis by
scanning each column from up to down. But I want to extract such a 3D
frontal surface by using some VTK methods or ITK methods, and I don't know
which method can be used for my purpose. Besides, I can render the volume
by "vtkVolumeRayCastCompositeFunction", as shown in "VolumeRendering.jpg",
and also can render the 3D surface by "vtkContourFilter", as shown in
"SurfaceRendering.jpg". From "SurfaceRendering.jpg", we can find there are
two layers of 3D surface, but I just want to extract the frontal 3D surface.

Does anyone give me some advice about my problem?

Thank you very much!

--

Best Regards!

Rong Xu,  Ph.D Student
Ohya Lab
Graduate School of Global Information and Telecommunication
Studies (GITS), Waseda University
1-6-1 Nishi Waseda, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, Japan (¨“169-8050)

Tel:          +81-80-4208-1207
E-mail:     xurong1981 at gmail.com
               xurong at fuji.waseda.jp