[vtkusers] "Bus error" in application with QT/VTK on Mac OSX 10.5.8

Malsoaz James jmalsoaz at yahoo.fr
Tue Aug 21 06:01:29 EDT 2012

Hi VTK users,

I'm trying to move the code of an application to Mac OSX 10.5.8. The code is working on Unix and Windows systems like a charm and is based on QT 4.8.2, VTK 5.8.0.
I'm mainly using the QVTKWidget class.

I have been able to successfully build QT and VTK for Mac OSX. Simples examples such as displaying a sphere in a VTK scene works.
Unfortunately for my specific application, I'm getting a "Bus error" and nothing is displayed.

How can I solve the problem ? Testing with a simple QVTKWidget window (with nothing else) produces the same error.

I'm guessing it coming from the combination of QT, VTK and Mac system.
By the way, QT and VTK are build with Cocoa. Before being able to compile the code, I have followed this thread : http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2010-April/108579.html to solve the problem with "fobjc-gc" linking errors.

Best
James.