[vtkusers] vtk6 porting question (segfault)

Trevor Irons trevorirons at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 15:41:51 EDT 2012

Thanks for the help. I think it's come down to not having VTK_USE_RENDERING
defined.
At least I get this error when following the directions on
http://vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx.

However, this does not seem to be an option when configuring VTK. There is
VTK_Group_Rendering, but no VTK_USE_RENDERING option.

I also find this strange, as in my installation directory
 $ ls -l  libvtkRendering*.so

libvtkRenderingAnnotation-6.0.so
libvtkRenderingGL2PS-6.0.so
libvtkRenderingMathText-6.0.so
libvtkRenderingAnnotationPython27D-6.0.so
libvtkRenderingGL2PSPython27D-6.0.so
libvtkRenderingMathTextPython27D-6.0.so
libvtkRenderingContext2D-6.0.so
libvtkRenderingHybridOpenGL-6.0.so           libvtkRenderingOpenGL-6.0.so
libvtkRenderingContext2DPython27D-6.0.so
libvtkRenderingHybridOpenGLPython27D-6.0.so
libvtkRenderingOpenGLPython27D-6.0.so
libvtkRenderingCore-6.0.so
libvtkRenderingImage-6.0.so
libvtkRenderingVolume-6.0.so
libvtkRenderingCorePython27D-6.0.so
libvtkRenderingImagePython27D-6.0.so
libvtkRenderingVolumeOpenGL-6.0.so
libvtkRenderingFreeType-6.0.so
libvtkRenderingLOD-6.0.so
libvtkRenderingVolumeOpenGLPython27D-6.0.so
libvtkRenderingFreeTypeOpenGL-6.0.so
libvtkRenderingLODPython27D-6.0.so
libvtkRenderingVolumePython27D-6.0.so
libvtkRenderingFreeTypeOpenGLPython27D-6.0.so
libvtkRenderingLabel-6.0.so

libvtkRenderingFreeTypePython27D-6.0.so
libvtkRenderingLabelPython27D-6.0.so

Generates quite a lot of hits. Thanks again for the tips and suggestions.

-- Trevor

On 14 August 2012 17:54, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com> wrote:

> The built examples will be in the bin directory of your VTK.
>
> A more extensive set of examples are on the Wiki:
> http://vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx
>
> each has a valid CMakeLists.txt file.
>
> You can also build them all by following these instructions:
> http://vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Instructions/ForUsers
>
> Bill
>

> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> PLease keep repiles on the list.
>>
>> For VTK6 use:
>>
>> ${VTK_LIBRARIES} instead of vtkRendering
>>

>> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Trevor Irons <trevorirons at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Bill! Wow.
>>>
>>> I guess this is the underlying question. I enabled build examples in
>>> CMake. But I honestly can't find where these are compiled to. My example is
>>> from
>>>
>>> VTKSOURCE/Examples/Tutorial/Step1/Cxx/Cone.cxx
>>>
>>> And the CMakeLists there specifies
>>>
>>> PROJECT (Step1)
>>>
>>> IF(NOT VTK_BINARY_DIR)
>>> FIND_PACKAGE(VTK REQUIRED)
>>> IF(NOT VTK_USE_RENDERING)
>>>   MESSAGE(FATAL_ERROR "Example ${PROJECT_NAME} requires
>>> VTK_USE_RENDERING.")
>>> ENDIF(NOT VTK_USE_RENDERING)
>>> INCLUDE(${VTK_USE_FILE})