[vtkusers] Undefined reference when compiling

Sara Rolfe smrolfe at u.washington.edu
Tue Apr 17 15:41:56 EDT 2012

Hello,

I recently updated cmake to version 2.8.7 and when I went to recompile
a program that I have built successfully before, I got the following
linking error:

CMakeFiles/SurfaceVectorFilter.dir/SurfaceVectorFilter.cxx.o: In
function `vtkSmartPointer<vtkPointSetNormalEstimationFilter>::New()':

SurfaceVectorFilter.cxx:
(.text
._ZN15vtkSmartPointerI33vtkPointSetNormalEstimationFilterE3NewEv
[vtkSmartPointer<vtkPointSetNormalEstimationFilter>::New()]+0x12):
undefined reference to `vtkPointSetNormalEstimationFilter::New()'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [SurfaceVectorFilter] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/SurfaceVectorFilter.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

I checked that the cmake file has the correct path to VTK.  Could you
please let me know if you have any advice?  Is it possible that I need
to rebuild VTK with my new version of cmake?  I am also using ITK and
it is working just fine.

Thanks,
Sara