[vtkusers] More than one Y-axis/X-axis range on Charts

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Thu Sep 29 09:15:00 EDT 2011

Hello Sergey,

I know that vtkChart can not do what you want, and I strongly suspect that the Qt-based charts can't either. (I've actually never seen a charting system that can, so I'm glad you included an example of what you are looking for.)

Maybe this won't be useful for you, but I would strongly suggest putting all of those plots into what's sometimes called "small multiples" or a "trellis chart" rather than trying to have a single chart with that many axes to compare the data. It will let you compare trends between curves without the confusion of trying to decipher which curve is which with so many colors and overlaps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_multiple
http://www.juiceanalytics.com/writing/better-know-visualization-small-multiples/

There is a way to do this with vtkChartXY which is shown in [vtk_source]/Charts/Testing/Cxx/TestPlotMatrix.cxx, but it requires you to turn off autosizing and manually place each chart's bounds in the scene. At one point the developers were thinking about a more flexible system of a grid of plots, but I haven't heard about that for a while, so I suspect it just hasn't been a high enough priority yet.

Good luck,
-Eric

Eric E Monson
Duke Visualization Technology Group